THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN LAW LIBRARY seeks a
Head of Scholarly Publishing & Intellectual Access
The Scholarly Publishing & Intellectual Access Unit Leader manages scholarly publishing functions and intellectual access to the Law Library collection. The librarian is a member of the Law Library Management Team and participates in library management, strategic planning, and library-wide staffing, workflow, and problem-solving.
The Scholarly Publishing & Intellectual Access Unit Leader:
- Manages and supervises the Scholarly Publishing & Intellectual Access Unit including:
- supervising full-time staff and librarians;
- recommending staffing levels (librarian, paraprofessional, and student) and work schedules; hiring, training, evaluating and supervising those who work in the Unit;
- directing and coordinating the work of the Unit;
- setting Unit policies and procedures and coordinating work with other units and subunits;
- keeping abreast of and utilizing current technologies and trends that anticipate, meet or exceed the research needs of the Law Library’s primary users;
- incorporating traditional library technology and librarianship skills and advancing the use of emerging technologies.
- Establishes unit and inter-unit policies and procedures, ensures unit effectiveness, resolves unit and inter-unit problems and answers questions from other units relating to the specialized functions of the Unit.
- Manages and coordinates the work of:
- Library Scholarly Publishing, including:
- Administration of the library management system, Library website, and University of Michigan Law School Scholarship Repository,
- Scholarly publishing, digitization, and technology services including working paper series administration, the Law School Faculty Publications project and website, and public computing and printing.
- Journal Publications Center, including:
- Advising student publication boards to publish the journals in multiple formats,
- Serving as liaison to the journal printer,
- Managing subscriptions to the journals.
- Cataloging, including:
- In-house and outsourced cataloging and metadata creation,
- Data loads of vendor cataloging and coverage data,
- Serials management for complex legal continuations.
- Participates in evening and weekend rotation at the Law Library Reference Desk.
- Participates in unit and Library-wide work, projects, and problem-solving, including as a member of committees and work groups, as assigned.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Supervision Received: General supervision is received from the Assistant Director.
Supervision Exercised: Administrative and functional supervision is exercised over two librarians, 4 paraprofessional staff, and students.
Salary: dependent on education and experience, $60,000 minimum, plus benefits worth 28% of salary.
Available: Applications accepted until April 11, 2017.
A complete application requires the following documents:
- Cover letter
- Names and contact information for three professional references; indicate professional relationship with each
- A list of all post-secondary schools attended
- Copies of transcripts for all post-secondary schools attended; official transcripts are not required
To apply: Email to Search Committee, University of Michigan Law Library, firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Application documents 1-4 combined into one PDF document
- Copies of all post-secondary transcripts combined into a second PDF document
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.