Kaufman & Canoles is a highly respected corporate law firm with eight offices located throughout Virginia. With a brand promise of “We Can. And We Will.” We are a business law firm that goes beyond legal excellence to provide innovative solutions and winning results for our clients. We are well established in the legal community, with an excellent reputation among the judiciary and other attorneys. Our reputation is built on excellent client service, and we promote a culture of teamwork that brings a positive, make-it-happen attitude at all levels of client service so that our clients know that they are our highest priority. In short, we hold ourselves to the highest standards, and we provide a full range of sound legal and business advice in a dynamic partnership with our clients and each other utilizing creativity, determination and foresight. The firm prides itself on maintaining advanced systems and leading technology to assist its lawyers and staff in delivering upon its brand promise.
Kaufman & Canoles could be the perfect business law firm for you. You will find success - and great satisfaction - if your vision for your own career matches up with our core values of Integrity, Stewardship and Innovation.
The firm is currently seeking a highly qualified Chief Information Officer to be based in our Norfolk headquarters. The individual will manage a department that includes seven individuals consisting of Systems Engineers, an Application Specialist, a Training and Development Manager, an IT Support Coordinator and Computer Support Technicians.
- Develop and implement strategies firm-wide to maintain systems, government compliance requirements, and security features required for the success of the firm.
- Continually evaluate the hardware and software available to attorneys and staff for potential upgrades and problem resolution.
- Manage and train staff in the Information Technology department to ensure excellent internal client satisfaction with prompt and courteous service and recruit and hire new staff as needed to maintain excellent service and performance standards.
- Maintain a reliable disaster recovery plan, back-up procedures, and controls for all systems.
- Monitor and continually evaluate risk and security measures to prevent threats to systems and data.
- Oversee hardware and software training for new and current attorneys and staff to ensure efficiencies throughout the firm.
- Prepare the annual budget for maintenance of current systems and capital improvement projects.
- Work with vendors to review agreements and negotiate contracts for support, licensing, and services.
- Maintain up to date HIPAA and Technology Use Policies and oversee the training of all staff relative to compliance with such policies.
- Participate and provide a vital role on the Hurricane Preparation and Recovery Team and Technology Committee.
- Interface with the firm’s Executive Committee, Chairman, Director of Administration and Technology Committee, as appropriate, to provide advice, recommendations, proposed budgets and implementation strategy on key technology initiatives as well as to provide leadership and forward thinking in identifying best in class solutions to meet the firm’s technology needs.
- Travel to the eight office locations (Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Richmond, Tysons Corner, Virginia Beach, and Williamsburg) is necessary at least 25% of the time. Travel will also be required for conferences or specialized system/software training.
- Strive to maintain system uptimes that are best in class, properly and timely communicate to attorneys and staff with respect to system outages and correction plans, and implement proper strategies for emergency failover of operating systems.