Wiley Rein LLP, a leading Washington, DC law firm, is seeking an Applications Manager to join its Information Services team. In this key role, the Applications Manager manages all software applications for the Firm and plays a vital role in implementing strategic solutions. The ideal candidate will be forward-thinking and have an excellent understanding of how to leverage a variety of software solutions to support the Firm’s business goals.
About the Position
Under the direction of the Director of Technical Operations, the Applications Manager plans and coordinates all activities necessary to support the installation, configuration, testing, and deployment of new or upgraded software applications. The Applications Manager also supervises a team of Desktop Engineers.
Core responsibilities include:
Strategy & Planning:
• Ensure that software applications meet the firm’s business requirements and systems goals and fulfill end-user requirements. Proactively identify and resolve systems issues.
• Review and analyze the effectiveness and efficiency of existing software applications and develop strategies to improve or further leverage these applications
• Develop comprehensive testing strategy for new applications, application updates, and upgrades
• Collaborate with Chief Information Officer and IS Department management team to develop and implement best practices for software applications usage
Acquisition & Deployment:
• Research and make recommendations on software products and services in support of purchasing efforts
• Coordinate feasibility studies for software and system products under consideration for purchase and make recommendations based on results
• Evaluate, install, configure, and deploy new applications, systems software, products, and enhancements to existing applications
• Collaborate with IS Department staff and other internal stakeholders in the testing of new software programs and applications
• Analyze documentation and technical specifications for potential new applications to determine intended functionality
• Ensure that any new software integration into existing firm systems meets functional requirements, system compliance, and interface specifications
• Design, develop, and install application enhancements and upgrades
• Evaluate proposals during the pre-testing phase of development to proactively identify potential problem areas and make appropriate recommendations for solutions
• Serve as liaison to software vendors and suppliers for the prompt resolution and troubleshooting of issues
• Manage and supervise the day-to-day activities of the desktop engineering team and provide direction and guidance that support overall firm and IS Department goals
• Provide leadership and mentoring to the desktop engineering team, including performance management, training and skills development, and counseling
• Manage and maintain Microsoft SCCM for application and operating system deployments and updates
• Collaborate with internal IS training department to develop end-user training courses and documentation for new software applications or upgrades
• Liaise with internal Network Operations team to develop, distribute, and coordinate mobile and remote application delivery systems
• Compile and maintain inventory of company software and systems assets and their corresponding contracts and agreements
• Liaise with internal IS Department staff as needed to assist with quality assurance, program logic, and data processing
• Develop, distribute, and coordinate in-depth end-user reviews for modified and new systems or applications
About the Person
The successful candidate should possess seven (7) or more years of relevant experience in overseeing the direction, development, and implementation of software solutions, a college degree (preferred), and a minimum of two (2) years of direct supervisory experience. Experience in a law firm or professional services environment desired.
The candidate should also be able to demonstrate experience in the following areas:
• Strong knowledge of system and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies
• Hands-on experience with automated software management tools
• Extensive experience with core software applications, including Microsoft Office 2016 and Office 365
• Proven experience working with, building and deploying SaaS applications in single and multitenant architectures that provide operational efficiency, data security, and flexible scalability. Experience testing web applications and Web Services (REST APIs)
• Working knowledge of network and PC operating systems, including Windows 10 Windows Server 2016
• Working knowledge of current network hardware, protocols, and standards, including access layer switching, patching, TCP/IP v4 and 6
• Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
The successful candidate will also possess the following characteristics and capabilities:
• Highly skilled in analyzing, troubleshooting and resolving problems, while providing documentation for future reference
• Strong interpersonal communication skills
• Excellent customer service skills, a positive attitude, and a willingness to collaborate with others
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in and out of a team environment
• Ability to organize work flow and use time efficiently, prioritize assignments, and multi-task in a deadline driven environment
• Ability to demonstrate accuracy and attention to detail in work product
• Ability to present information and communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language and work with users at all levels in the firm
• Flexibility and willingness to respond to issues during and outside of core business hours
Work Environment/Physical Demands
• Position operates in a professional office environment which is usually quiet to moderate
• The Firm requires that the duties and responsibilities of this position be performed onsite during scheduled work hours.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; and the ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, and crouch. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read information. Frequently required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee frequently lifts and/or moves objects up to 10 pounds and occasionally lifts and/or move objects up to 20 pounds
**Wiley Rein is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the achievement of excellence, diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
***This Organization Participates in E-Verify.
About Wiley Rein LLP
Wiley Rein is a dominant presence in Washington, DC, with more than 240 attorneys and public policy advisors. Our firm has earned international prominence by representing clients in complex, high-stakes regulatory, litigation, and transactional matters. Many of the firm’s attorneys have held high-level positions in the White House, on Capitol Hill, and in federal agencies including the U.S. Department of Defense, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, the Federal Communications Commission, the U.S. Department of State, the U.S. Department of Commerce, the Federal Election Commission, and the U.S. Department of Justice. Many of our attorneys also have active high-level security clearances that allow them to quickly “read in” to matters when there is a need to access classified materials. The Legal Times has noted that the firm “represents as perfect a merging of public policy and corporate America as exists in Washington.”
Wiley Rein operates at the intersection of politics, law, government, business, and technological innovation, representing a wide range of clients—from Fortune 500 corporations to trade associations to individuals—in virtually all industries. We believe deliveri...ng consistent and successful results is achieved through building true partnerships with our clients. We do this by understanding the industries and economic climate in which they operate and the current and potential legal issues that impact their business. Most importantly, because Wiley Rein remains a Washington, DC-based firm that largely operates out of a single office, we are able to control costs and billing rates in a manner that is nearly impossible in large, multi-office or multinational law firms.